Patient Safety Improved By Low Dose CT at Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center
Patients at Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center are now getting the safest, most accurate computed tomography (CT) scans available. The hospital Imaging Services recently installed the revolutionary low-dose Discovery CT750HD from General Electric. It is the world’s first high-definition CT scanner. It creates sharper, more detailed images using a much smaller radiation dose, up to 83 percent less on cardiac scans and up to 50 percent less across the rest of the body compared to other current machines. In addition, Asante Rogue Regional has upgraded the existing CT scanner to provide a similar reduction in radiation dose, so all CT scanning at the hospital is low dose.
Lowering radiation dose during diagnostic medical imaging is essential for patient safety. The new equipment significantly reduces the radiation exposure to patients, especially children, who require a CT scan, and patients who may need multiple imaging tests such as cancer patients and women of child-bearing age.
The new scanner also gives doctors greater diagnostic confidence through “HD‐quality” imaging with 33 percent greater clarity that allows physicians to see small details in much better resolution than ever before. The new CT750HD also minimizes image distortion, which gives doctors enhanced ability to isolate specific abnormalities for more precise diagnosis and treatment planning.
"The new CT scanner allows us as physicians to diagnose abnormalities with much greater confidence at a significantly lower radiation dose," says Dr. Jared Christensen, a radiologist with Medford Medical Group who sees patients at Asante Rogue Regional. "The Discovery CT is one of the most accurate and effective diagnostic tools available in medical imaging. We are fortunate to have such an advanced piece of equipment, which currently is usually found only in large academic centers. The improved diagnostic accuracy and reduced radiation dose are essential for excellent patient care.”
The Discovery CT750HD
- Delivers high-quality images with up to 50 percent less radiation.
- Offers reduced potential risk of long-term damage from radiation.
- Is especially safer for diagnosing or treating children, women of child-bearing age, and cancer patients who may need to receive multiple examinations.
- Maximizes diagnostic confidence.
- Uses innovative imaging technology for faster scans for quick examination of the most challenging images when time is of the essence.
- Determines appropriate treatment for commonly detected small lesions and enables the physicians to see the anatomy more clearly.
- Enables radiologists to see even the miniscule vessels of the heart in profound precision in a non-invasive procedure.
- During complex interventional cases 3D imaging provides valuable additional information.