Skip to Content
View Additional Content In This Section
An allergic reaction to metal is an overreaction of the body's
immune system to a substance (allergen) in a metal. An allergic reaction to
metal can cause intense swelling, pain, and itching.
Nickel is the most common metal allergen. Jewelry that does not
trigger an allergic reaction is made from:
Current as of:
February 20, 2015
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.