Skip to Content
View Additional Content In This Section
Radon is a radioactive gas that is released when uranium—a natural
element found in rock and soil—breaks down and decays. Radon can leak from the
ground into a home or other building through cracks in the foundation or gaps
Long-term exposure to radon has been linked to the development of
Radon cannot be detected by human senses because it is odorless,
tasteless, and invisible. But levels can be measured in enclosed spaces
with home test kits. Radon levels in homes and other buildings can be reduced
by methods such as venting the radon out of the soil under the house, moving air through crawl spaces with a fan, and increasing the pressure in basements to prevent radon from seeping in.
Current as of:
August 21, 2015
Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine & R. Steven Tharratt, MD, MPVM, FACP, FCCP - Pulmonology, Critical Care Medicine, Medical Toxicology
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.