Dr. Loren Barrus has been a physician and surgeon at Cataract & Laser Institute since 1989. He has been the president since 1993. During that time he has performed well over 10,000 eye surgeries. These include cataract and lens-implant surgery with multi-focal and accommodating lenses.
Dr. Barrus has published and presented original research at national meetings. He has lectured extensively and made numerous contributions to ophthalmology textbooks.
His hobbies include water and snow skiing, fishing, and tennis. He served in the Boy scouts of America and Cub Scouts for over 15 years. He also coached youth soccer and Pop Warner football for 12 years.
Dr. Barrus is currently accepting new patients.
Training and Awards
Bachelor of Science, Brigham Young University
- Major: Premedical Zoology, minor: German
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Valedictorian, College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences
- Alivina Soffell Barrett and Presidential academic scholarships
M.D. Degree, University of Utah School of Medicine
- Graduated second out of 116 students
- Vice-president Alpha Omega, Alpha Honor Society
- Cora Hayward scholarship award
Transitional Internship - LDS and Primary Children's Hospitals, Salt Lake City
Ophthalmology Residency and Post-Residency Associateship - University of Iowa, Department of Ophthalmology
Diplomat American Board of Ophthalmology
Currently listed in "Guide to America's Top Ophthalmologists
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- Jackson County Medical Society
- Iowa Eye Association
- Oregon Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery