- Year joined staff:
Education and Training
- University of Virginia, B.A. cum laude, Biology
- University of Virginia School of Medicine, Medical Education
- University of Cape Town, Masters in Public Health, with distinction
- Oregon Health & Science University, General Surgery Resident
- Oregon Health & Science University, Global Surgery Research Fellow
- General Surgery Intern, Oregon Health & Science University
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
American College of Surgery
Society of Critical Care Medicine
American Public Health Association
Oregon Medical Association
American Medical Association
Honors, Awards, etc.
2013 Class Representative, UCT School of Public Health
2009 Medical Student Teaching Award, UVA School of Medicine
2008 Gold Humanism Honor Society
2007 Academic Support Award, UVA School of Medicine
2003 Intermediate Honors, University of Virginia
2002 National Society of Collegiate Scholars
2002 Golden Key Honor Society
2001-2004 Dean’s List, University of Virginia
Oregon Medical Board | MD159258
USMLE Step 1 (2007), Step 2 (2008), Step 3 (2012)
Advanced Cardiac Life Support
Advanced Trauma Life Support
Basic Life Support
Philosophy Of Care
I strive to be the physician who can be trusted completely when someone in crisis might not have a choice.
About this Provider
As a general surgeon, Dr. Yang has expertise in cancer, abdominal and trauma surgery. However, Dr. Yang did not begin school believing he would become a doctor.
Originally, Dr. Yang had hoped to become a classical pianist or bassoon player. His career goals changed when his mother became very ill. He served as her helper through many hospitalizations. As a result, Dr. Yang decided to pursue a career in service to others in need.
As a result of his experience, Dr. Yang works to listen to and educate patients while under his care. Helping patients fully understand their health is a top priority.
In addition to his training as a physician and general surgeon, Dr. Yang earned a master’s degree in public health. He has a special interest in rural community health needs. He has also conducted research on the health care differences found in rural communities.
Dr. Yang’s research in the surgical field has also been published in many leading journals. He has taught dozens of medical education seminars.
Enjoying travel and the outdoors, Dr. Yang has become a semi-professional nature photographer. His photos have been published in CNN Travel magazine. He has also has a cover photo credit to his name.
Along with his wife, Dr. Yang regularly hikes the hills surrounding Grants Pass. He is involved with his church service groups. He volunteers on behalf of the homeless through the Salvation Army clinic and also mentors a youth group.
Publications and Presentations
- Yang E, DeBarros M, Pfister M, Karmy-Jones R. Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt with combined splenic embolization and splenectomy for spontaneous splenic hemorrhage and portal hypertension during pregnancy. BMJ Case Reports. [in review]
- Yang E, Kahn D, Cook C. Acute appendicitis in South Africa: a systematic review. South African Journal of Surgery. [in press]
- Yang E, Kahn D, Cook C. Acute appendicitis in the public and private sectors in Cape Town, South Africa. World J. Surg. 2015 Jul; 39(7): 1700-7. PMID: 25665677
- Mirza K, Yang E, Nwomeh B, Orloff SL, Krishnaswami S. Redefining Academic Surgery: Identifying Trends in Research and the Rise of Global Surgery. Journal of Surgical Research. 2013 Feb; 179(2): 339.
- Yoon M, Yang E, Nwomeh B, Ekeh P, Laryea J, Krishnaswami S. Differential Medical Student Career Choices among Nations in West Africa: The Importance of Role Models and Economics. Journal of Surgical Research. 2013 Feb; 179(2): 239.
- Frost M, Yang E, Nwomeh B, Orloff SL, Krishnaswami S. Viewing International Collaborations from the Other Side: A Pilot Survey of African Surgeons by the SUS Committee on Global Academic Surgery. Journal of Surgical Research. 2013 Feb; 179(2): 236-7 .
- Yang E. “Stomach.” In Schwartz’s Principles of Surgery: ABSITE and Board Review, Tenth Edition, edited by F. Brunicardi, et al., New York: McGraw-Hill Education / Medical, [in press]
- Yang E. Pediatric Surgery. In Schwartz’s Principles of Surgery: ABSITE and Board Review, Tenth Edition, edited by F. Brunicardi, et al., New York: McGraw-Hill Education / Medical, [in press]
- Yang E. Acute appendicitis in the public and private sectors in Cape Town, South Africa. Masters of Public Health Dissertation. University of Cape Town, April 2014.
- Yang E. Pharmacology drug charts. Core curriculum. 2006-2007. University of Virginia School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology.